Introducing the Pure Class A, EL-84 Powered Lone Star Special® featuring Channel Assignable Power (patent pending) that allows you to assign 1, 2 or all 4 EL-84’s to either of its 2 Channels for independent Power Ratings of 5, 15 or 30 Watts.
Where its Big Brother boasts the huge warmth and headroom of 6L6 power, the Special delivers seductive, bubbly tone and a sensual, elastic feel. This Lone Star is lightweight, but heavy on personality.
Authentic retro-tone is all about power and the way it clips. Yet in any given amp, the sweet-spot of power clip is inseparably tied to its wattage and playing loudness. The Lone Star Special smashes this age-old limitation by offering three distinct power configurations, each with its own window of wattage: 30, 15, or 5. Perfect power, per channel - on demand.
Thirty watts, bold and pure from all four power tubes punches through the mix and hangs with a band in mid-size venues. Fifteen watts cries the blues with sinful passion, coaxing expressive soul from an electron-soaked pair of EL-84’s. Both these circuits run Pure Class A in a Push-Pull configuration. But what really makes this Lone Star Special is its ability to switch down to five watts of single-ended power bliss (patent pending).
In Push-Pull circuits, the second harmonic is cancelled out when the two halves of the wave-form are re-combined in the output transformer. Unlike Push-Pull, Single-Ended circuits preserve this most musical of all harmonics. A subtle coating of warm distortion (an octave above the note you’re playing) glazes the entire spectrum with a purring, golden halo of precious nuance. Perfect for individual playing or recording.
Between the two Lone Stars, you can choose to clip your power at 5, 15, 30, 50 or 100 watts. All this bouncy Class A tone blooms naturally in a trim 1x12 cab roughly three-fourths the size of its Big Brother.
Whether you're gigging at the club, rehearsing with the band, recording in the studio, tracking at home or simply inspired late at night, the finely tuned power sections of the Lone Star Special ® transcend all these needs – going where no single amp has gone before.
Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special Features:
- Handbuilt in the Petaluma, California
- Pure Class A, Multi-Watt™ Channel Assignable Power Amp (Patent 7,602,927) allows you to assign either 1, 2 or 4 Power Tubes to each Channel for Power Ratings of 5, 15 or 30 Watts per Channel via independent 5/15/30 Watt Power Switches / 4xEL84, 5x12AX7, 1x5Y3
- Rectifier Tracking™ (5&15 Watt Mode = Tube, 30 Watt = Diode - Patents5,168,438 & 7,193,458)
- 2 Fully Independent Channels each with Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence, Reverb & Master Controls
- Channel 1=Boutique Vintage Clean/Classic Breakup
- Channel 2= Cloneof Ch 1 or Cascading High Gain Drive/Clean Switch activates Ch 2 “Drive” Control (Multi-Stage Cascading Gain Circuit)
- Thick/Normal/Thicker Voicing Switch (Channel 2)
- All-Tube, Long Spring Reverb with Bright/Warm Reverb Tone Switch
- Output Level Control (over all channels when activated)
- Footswitchable Solo Level Control – Patent 6,724,897 (over all channels when activated)
- Fully Buffered FX Loop with Send Level Control (over all channels when activated)
- True “Hard” Bypass Switch that removes FX Loop, Output Level & Solo Level Controls from signal path
- Slave Out w/Level Control
- Fan Cooled with On/Off Switch
- Jacks for Channels 1/2, Solo & Reverb
- All Aluminum Chassis
- 2 Button Footswitch (Channel 1/2 & Solo)
- Slip Cover